Residential Measurement Standard – RMS – in Alberta
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Properties Gain or Lose using RMS?
Properties stay the same size they have always been. They did not physically shrink or increase in size upon the publication of the RMS.
The RMS quantifies the size of the property based on a new measurement standard. The real estate professional must report the RMS area as the property size.
Consider this analogy: Fahrenheit or Celsius are different standards used to measure outside temperature. Reporting the temperature in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit does not make it any warmer or colder outside.
If a client is concerned about the difference in property size, real estate professionals need to explain that:
- Their property has not decreased or increased in size
- The property size difference is the result of comparing measurements using different standards
- The purpose of the RMS
- The fact that the value of their property has not changed
- The RMS is based on property type (i.e. attached, detached)
- The RMS applies to competing properties
Lee Bourgeois Edmonton Real Estate Blog